|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Confessed Wikipediholics page.
|Department of Fun|
The "deadly Wikipedia virus"
(from the village pump)
Spotted on Xinhua, the official Chinese newswire, no less :
- MAPUTO, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- When Yan Bincheng wearing a heavy glass mask, a shield to cover his surgical clothe and two sets of gloves, the Chinese volunteer looked more like a bio-chemical expert than a doctor from Chinese medical team in Mozambique.
- In Maputo Central Hospital, the largest public hospital in Mozambique, Yan with his colleagues must wear these "uniforms" in everyday operation to avoid unexpected dangers from patients for some of them might be HIV carrier or even the deadly Wikipedia virus carrier.
- Can I qualify for medical disability payments? --Delirium 12:42, Feb 9, 2004 (UTC)
- I think I might have it too. When I went to the physician, she said it was a sinus infection, and gave me medicine. Now I realize that I have been misdiagnosed. This is very upsetting. I hope I never die (by the time i'm 100 years old, they should have already perfected immortality.) --Sennheiser! 13:44, 9 Feb 2004 (UTC)
- I wonder if the above Xinhua reporter simply did a Google search for AIDS and got a page with a title like "AIDS virus - Wikipedia" and thought Wikipedia was the name of another virus. 22.214.171.124 (talk) 19:38, 16 May 2010 (UTC)
Seriously though, I have this odd feeling of deja vu. Has wikipedia ever been incorrectly classified as a virus (im thinking of a possible article on SARS) before? --Sennheiser! 14:55, 9 Feb 2004 (UTC)
- It's way too late to do anything about this, and I'm sure it was talked to death ages ago, but I do have to report that whenever I mention Wikipedia to someone who doesn't already know about it, they (so far invariably) think it's a Wicca-pedia and I have to explain that it is not about New Age witchcraft. Dpbsmith 15:44, 9 Feb 2004 (UTC)
I don't get this. Where exactly does Xinhua get this "Wikipedia virus" idea from?! Is there supposed to be a lethal disease that sounds like [wikipidia] or has the abbreviation of WP?! Anyone cares to explain? --Menchi 06:11, 2 Feb 2005 (UTC)
This page and others like it are mostly humourous and give no help, respect or recognition to those people who have a serious problem with Wikipedia. There is no system to help such people, that I know of. A small number of Wikipedians who are particularly close to me have confided in me regarding their feelings towards Wikipedia. No doubt the problem is fairly common.
If anyone would like to talk privately and confidentially about how Wikipedia is affecting your life, please email me and we'll see if we can set something up. At the moment we don't have much of a support network, but we'll see what we can do. -- Tim Starling 15:20, Aug 1, 2004 (UTC)
Diary of a Wikipediac
Spent way too much time on Wikipedia today. Probably 8 hours.
Jeez; everybody's abandoning me because I want them to consider my wikipedia editing when they schedule stuff. Nothing's that important that it can't wait for a few hours, maybe 8 at most. Every once in a while.
Nothing to do all day but spend eight hours on wikipedia.
System troubles today. Very frustrating. Wikipedia up for me only eight hours.
Have to cut back on Wikipedia! Promised myself only 8 hours today.
I think I got it under control now. Barely eight hours after I woke up, then I went outside.
Busy day today. Barely had eight hours to work on Wikipedia.
Gzuckier 18:30, 21 Apr 2005 (UTC)